Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Beach, birthdays, and a bed

It has been a couple of weeks since my last posting.  We had our yearly trip to the beach with Dave's family.  It was so relaxing and enjoyable and we all had a great time.  The kids seem to get more and more out of our trips as the years go by.  This year, they enjoyed boogie boarding in the surf quite a lot!   Daniel loved the but was not too sure about the ocean itself.  I particularly enjoyed the fact that there was nothing pressing me - - nothing to get done.  I could crochet at my leisure, especially during Daniel's nap time. 

When we got home, the girls had their dance recital.  Each year we get more amazed at their accomplishments, and this year was no different.  I enjoy watching them perform and this year, you could really see the growth in their abilities.  No longer are they looking for guidance from the sidelines.  It was enough to bring tears of joy to a mama's eyes!

Our next big celebration (May seems to be a month of celebrations!) was the twins birthday.  They are officially teenagers - 13!  They each had a friend over.  We put 26 candles on their cake - 13 on each side so that they could each blow out 13.  I could say that it seems like yesterday that I was bringing them home from the hospital, but I'd be lying.  I will say, though, that time does seem to be going by quickly.

This weekend was also Memorial Day weekend - - a time to remember those who have kept us free - - those who have come before and gave either all of their lives or a portion to keep us safe and those who are serving today in our military.  I pray for all families who have loved ones far from home, those who have come home broken and those who have lost their lives.  I am not sure how much we, here at home, realize the sacrifice that is being made by member of our military and their families, far removed from the battle and the terror that must be there.  It's almost as if we are disconnected from the reality of the war, kept busy with our lives, not realizing the sacrifice that these brave men and women make for us.  I know many do live with the reality of the wars, but there are also just as many who don't.

That brings me to the last thing - - the bed.  You can see Daniel sitting on top of it in the picture.  Just before we left, I was thinking about how to come up with a toddler bed for Daniel.  Right now he is sharing our bed and really it is getting time to move him into his own little bed.  He will still be in our room, but in his little corner.  I found this link to an upholstered  toddler bed.  I batted my eyes at Dave (okay - I asked him) to help me make it today, and he did! He and Alex put together the wooden frame.  Andrea and I upholstered it with a really cute ivory with lime green toile and then made the bed.  Andrea sewed a pillow cover.  I had found the ABC fleece at JoAnn's and thought it would be great for his bed.  We then added his quilt that I had made him before he was born.  Dave jokes and says that Daniel probably won't sleep in it, but he does seem tickled by it right now.  I owe Dave pretty big, though, because it was awfully hot and he was dripping with sweat while he slaved away for me!  Boy, I love that man!


Currently, I am working on learning to knit.  I am teaching myself to knit by sewing some "dish cloths".  I am not sure if I will have the heart to use them as thus and am thinking of stitching them together into a blanket.  That is, if I get past the first one!  I am using them to learn - - kind of like a sampler.  I have found the Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting to be extremely helpful, though I am not sure I will have the book long enough to complete any of the projects inside.  I'd like to try the men's hat they have in there for Dave and the boys.  I currently have the book on loan from the library so perhaps I will have to ask for it for my birthday. 

Well, I am going to sign off for now - - the pool is calling me!  God Bless you and Happy Memorial Day!

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment