Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Craft Organization


You know your husband loves you when, not only does he give up the designated "home office" to you for a craft room, but then he takes the time to build you this closet organizer, even after a week-long business trip!  Gotta love that man!

My mom had given us some sheets of nice thick plywood that Dave used to build the center tower and cut the shelves for both sides. He purchased a thick dowel and a closet bar hanger to give me some room to hang items and two long pieces of melame for the side shelves with pre-drilled holes.  We had the wire baskets and storage bins, so those didn't need to be purchased.  All-in-all, I think the project came in under $50. 

 
 My mom had also given us some pieces of peg board that we put on both sides of the closet. This allowed us to add some hanging room for wreaths, spools of ribbon, wood roving and other stuff.

I took some time to organize all of the loose stuff that was hanging around the workroom into the bins and baskets.  It is going to make it so much easier for me to know what I have - - which will hopefully save me some money on supplies!

To the actual office area, we added a piece of pegboard beside the whiteboard so that I could hang up scissors, rotary cutters, etc.  I added these metal buckets in red, white and blue - - don't they look cute!  They are holding paint brushes, crochet hooks, and dry erase markers.  I also found these baskets in a three pack at Home Depot that hang on pegboard.  They are great for holding books and magazines, along with things that cannot get hung up.

I love the fact that I have a place for my scissors.  Anyone who sews knows that having a good pair of sewing scissors, dedicated to cutting fabric is imperative.  My kids are always looking for scissors and know not to touch my sewing scissors!  It's nice, though, to have a place to hang them and not have to worry about where they are at and who has used them for what. 


Last year, I had sewed together this "shoe" organizer to organize my yarns that I have on hand.  I keep a stash basket for the leftover balls, but wanted something to organize the larger skeins.  Since we've redone the closet, which is where I had this, I thought I would put it on the outside of the closet door.  I have to look for some over the door hooks to hang it on, but here you can see the idea.  Each of the pocket can hold a rather large skein of yarn.  I loved the cute ladybug fabric - - it is bright and cheerful!

I am so excited to share my workroom with you and inspired to get working on those crafts that I had been meaning to do for some time.  I also have some things to catch up on - - like clothing repair and that blanket that I had started crocheting for Daniel.  For now, though, I have to close the door and go start school with the kids. 

God Bless,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment